Thursday, July 22, 2010

Counting the Blessing of Home

I feel like I'm turning into an egg.

I'm easily frustrated, because all I want to do is lie around and protect the baby or get ready for the baby or make lists about stuff I need to do (but can't do) before the baby comes. All inward turning stuff.

I woke up at 4:30 in complete terror that the baby would come too quickly, that I'd have her at the house, and that she wouldn't be able to breathe because I still didn't have a nasal aspirator to suck out the gunk from her nose and throat. My incredibly kind husband went to Wal Mart at 6 am and bought me one, and baby nail clippers, so that I'd be able to sleep. I went back to sleep holding the packages.

I posted about the aspirator nonsense in a Face Book note today. My friend Amy, who is a nurse, responded that if I didn't have one, to do a reverse mouth-to-mouth/nose with the baby and just suck instead of blow (and then spit!). I have now sworn to carry the aspirator everywhere I go!

I'm dilated to a 5, and still 7 weeks out. I begged my perinatologist to let me off the hook and only come twice instead of three times a week. He took this into consideration and said I could either come three times a week, or I could be monitored full time at the hospital.

I chose 3 times a week, and a room at home.

Where I can freak out and my husband can humor me.

I am blessed.

2 comments:

  1. I just made it to this post, and am laughing out loud again about the nasal aspirator! Too funny to picture that. If it helps, know that a lot of babies need minimal suctioning because getting squeezed out during the birth process actually squeezes out the majority of the gunk (c-section babies need a ton more suctioning than normally-birthed babies).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me feel better. I remember years ago reading about gently pressing their little noses downward (kind of by the eye downward on each side) to help get the gunk out too. Besides, I doubt they had aspirators in the middle ages. But then, babies didn't have a great... oh never mind.

    ReplyDelete