Saturday, July 17, 2010

Notes on 40

Today was the day. Kind of minimal and just right.

Backstory: My sibs and spouses and kiddos all get together every November for a long weekend at a gorgeous house in Mesquite, NV to chat and play and not worry that we can't get together for holidays. 2 Novembers ago I had a great time, then saw the photos. I was large. I decided then and there that not only was I going to get my physical act together but I was going to train. Train and work and be in better shape, so that over the weekend of my 40th birthday, I would go to San Diego and take surfing lessons.

I did a good job!

I lost a bunch of weight and toned up. I was full of energy and happy. By November of the next year I was just about where I wanted to be. I wore a kinda-clingy work outfit and heels all the way through the work day and on the 90 minute drive to mesquite. My family was impressed! I had biceps! I could walk for hours and not get tired! I could swim and swim and swim!

My husband was on board with the trip, along with a girlfriend who said she'd take the lessons with me. I love the ocean, I love water in general. I was pumped. I bought a surfing magazine and started emailing Southern California friends about good beaches, less populated and into surfing.

January first I took a test. In the middle of the night. Dumb me. - I'll share all of that another time.

So, the surfing journey took a hiatus and I launched myself into impending motherhood again, and waited for my 40th birthday. What would I do instead? It's kind of momentous you know.

Here's what I did.
1. Showered
2. Pills to stop contractions, and for gestational diabetes blood glucose monitoring.
3. Went to the Dr. for the second of 2 steroid shots to boost the baby's lung growth (seems I'm 4cm dilated and 70% effaced with 8 weeks to go).
4. Waddled into Target to use the ladies.
5. Waddled into Nothing Bunt Cakes just long enough to say "I know I'm diabetic right now, but it's my birthday and I MUST have the red velvet cake tonight! Oh, and look at that cute apron!"
6. Bed rested
7. Napped
8. Ate dinner (thank you Albertsons for your rotisserie chickens!) then red velvet cake while wearing my new apron (thank you, loving husband)
9. Poked my finger about 9 times.
10. Meds again.

My kids made me cards. Lara even made me coupons for a back rub, a foot rub and any chore. Sweet girl. My husband has been giving me gifts for 2 weeks because he can't stand to wait. (LOVE him)

Lovely, low key, family filled birthday. I'm glad I'm 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment